Thursday 21 September 2023

 

MADNESS IN THE PHILOSOPHICAL ARENA

I have been called mad, insane, and delusional. I have been locked up in institutions and treated with drugs and therapy. But I am not mad. I am a philosopher.

Philosophy is the search for truth. It is an attempt to understand the nature of reality and our place in it. It is a challenging and often frustrating endeavor, but it is also a deeply rewarding one.

Madness, on the other hand, is a state of mind in which one loses touch with reality. It is characterized by delusions, hallucinations, and other symptoms that damage one's ability to function.

 Is it possible to be a philosopher and mad at the same time? The answer is that madness can be a source of creativity and insight. When we are mad, we are often more open to new ideas and possibilities. We are less likely to be bound by convention or tradition. Philosophers can greatly benefit from this aspect of their thinking, since they are always striving to do more than what is expected of them.

Of course, madness can also be a hindrance to philosophy. When we are mad, we can become lost in our thoughts and unable to communicate effectively. We can also become paranoid and suspicious of others, which can make it difficult to collaborate with others.

But I believe that the benefits of madness outweigh the risks. I believe that madness can be a powerful tool for philosophical inquiry. It can help us to see the world in new ways and to question our assumptions. It can also help us to connect with our inner selves and to find our unique voice. 

There is nothing ashamed about the madness that I have. I embrace it as part of who I am. I believe that it makes me a better philosopher. 

I am not the only philosopher who has been called mad. Socrates was accused of madness by his enemies. For instance, in Plato’s Phaedo, Socrates describes his philosophical mission and his willingness to question conventional wisdom, which led some Athens to regard his mad and corrupting the youth. On top of that, Friedrich Nietzsche was called "the madman of the age." Nietzsche, in his book Thus Spoke Zarathustra, famously wrote the passage about the “madman” who proclaimed the death of God. 

These philosophers were all outsiders, challenging the state of affairs. They were all willing to think for themselves, even when it meant going against the grain. And they were all driven by a deep desire to understand the world.

I believe that madness is a gift. It is a gift that can be used to create great things, including great philosophy. I am grateful for my madness, and I will continue to use it to explore the mysteries of the universe.



 -Abisai A. Nzenga, 2nd Year