Tuesday 28 August 2018

I AM PRECIOUS!

How do I take myself? What image do I have of myself? Which theme sounds better in me? Do I take myself as a precious being? Do I believe in ‘Yes I Can’ or I always see myself in terms of limitations and as the unfortunate one?

As a social and spiritual being, I share a link with my Creator. Nevertheless, how many times do I recognize that? I am a being who is unique compared to other creatures. Am I convinced that I am created in the image and likeness of God? This calls for realization i.e. self-awareness. Before I put into practice the social nature in me, it is very important to know myself first. In addition to knowing oneself, the sense of feeling worthy is also necessary as one gets to accept who and how he/she is.

Truthfully, there are moments of doubt whereby one is in dilemma of who he/she is. However, these recurrent doubtful moments should not be the limitation of one’s urge to be him/herself. One preacher once said that, there are two important days in life and it is in these two days that one really be. The first important day is the day of birth. It is in this day when one comes into the universe and meets the beautiful creation of God. The second great day in life is the day one really knows the reason why he/she was born. I would like to focus on this second vital day.

In life, we all strive to live but it is unfortunate that many try to survive instead of living. In living, one has to know the reason behind his existence. The realization of this greatly hidden treasure is the beginning of knowing oneself. Imagine a moment of unawareness of oneself; I do not mean the philosophical ultimate of nothingness but the reality of oneself. A being who is unaware of oneself I can depict him/her as the most dangerous being both to himself/herself and to other beings. I know it sounds controversial but why do I write so? Take this human being, who does not know the reason why he/she is alive, and place him/her in any life circumstance. This being, I presume will not be able to comprehend why he/she is even there in the first place. If he/she might not know all that, do you expect him/her to be a liberal and a responsible being? Will he/she able to take care of the other(s) when he/she does not know the reason behind his own beingness? I believe the probability is almost zero, if it is not zero. In every life situation, this person may not be responsible to meet his/her moral and spiritual obligations. However, the million-dollar question is, have you and I realised the reason why we (I) were (was) born?

It is from the realization of the ultimate reason of my being when I can really believe in myself and see myself as a worthy being. I can be able to see myself as God’s precious being. I can see the actualization of God’s Word as in Isaiah 43:4, “because you are precious in my eyes and honoured, and I love you ….”  This is the moment of seeing God’s greatness in one’s life as a merciful and caring Father; the Immanent God who lowers Himself to be like us for the sake of our salvation (Phil 2:6-11). God who takes care of us like in Mt 6:25-30, but I believe that one has to realize himself/herself first in order to know that he/she has a share in these greatest treasures. On top of that, one has to be humble in his/her beingness, Just like Jesus accepted to take a form of a slave. I have to be able to celebrate my beingness and always see myself as an unworthy being a priority to have God’s providence but at the same time, a being whom God loves and see as precious.