Saturday 7 November 2015

Sports and Formation

My three years of formation in Lavigerie House Jinja and PCJ has been greatly influenced by sports, particularly football in which I fully participate. Formation in this house involved listening, practicefocusingendurancepatiencepunctuality and team work (community life). I have experienced all these aspects in football sport. Football is a team sport in which there must be team or community. For any good results in a football match, there must be coordination among the team members. This coordination does not begin during the time of the game but during training. In a football team there is always different capabilities, for instance ball control juggling and heading, hence players have different skills. This difference in abilities bring about compatibility and hence completeness of the team. This has helped me to learn to accept the difference of the gifts among students and other people at large. This calls for humility and patience knowing that some people can do certain things and others cannot so I should not expect everyone to fit into my pattern of life.  Such attitude towards my brothers` abilities helps me to be accommodative and understanding of other people.

Even though I learnt to play football as a young boy, I always do practice in this sport to improve or learn a new skill in it. As the saying goes “practice makes perfect” during this practice  I get an opportunity to concentrate and focus with ease because there is no pressure as compared to when it is in a game situation. Hence, it becomes possible for me to perfect the skill before the game. In formation, different duties are assigned to me, take an example when am my house Tobie Kiza is on liturgy and then my room is in charge, I will do adequate preparation and through such preparation I discover some other things concerning liturgy the whole process  turns to be a learning process.

Last year at PCJ I happened to be the sports secretary. This position really exposed me to sports and life both in formation and outside formation.  I learned many life skills through sports management and participation at PCJ.  I have developed strong communication skills as I addressed sports meetings and through these meeting I have also developed an ability to persuade or influence others or mobilize people and move them to act positively. Sports meetings and encounter are quiet detailed therefore through these I have developed an ability to pay attention to details and to be creative. Perseverance is a virtue of a sports person and a leader. As a sports secretary and a football player I had several unpleasant encounters during the sports meetings and game. Because of this I had to be more patient and enduring and therefore I developed quiet a high mental and emotional endurance and also problem solving skills. Later on after the course of conflict transformation with Fr. Yago, I think I can engage in a conflict transformation process in the sports field.

All the above skills which I have learned from sports have really helped in information. Through endurance I have been able to sustain time in different methods of prayer such as meditation and benediction without any feelings of fatigue. Community life has been manageable due to understanding and accommodating different opinions, ideas and personalities from my brothers. Disappointments are inevitable in both formation and secular life. Right now in formation I am able to accept challenges and different disappointments. I really appreciate the gift and the talent of sports which God has endowed into us for such purposes. I believe all people have different sports talents therefore one has to discover it within him or her. I thank other gifted people like Fr. Yago who come out to discover other peoples talents through self awareness.  

Peter Bwire